You’ll never guess…I once lived in Melbourne!
You already knew because I talk about it too much? Oh, my bad.
When deciding where I hoped to live in Australia, I originally wanted to live in Brisbane because of the easy day trips that could be made there.
Then I read about Melbourne and knew, it was my place.
A European-esque Australian city, more Southern, but still technically part of the East coast. An artsy city that still had all kinds of weather. A city known for having 4 seasons in one day.
The thing with living in a city though is that no matter how long you live there, you will never be able to do everything.
I never was able to go to the place that was all trampolines. I never got to make a day trip to Philip Islands. I never learned how to surf, and I never swam with wild dolphins.
Everything I did though was so amazing, so I thought I would tell you 11 of my favourite things to do if you ever find yourself with a few days in Melbourne, but you don’t know where to start exploring.
11 Melbourne Things
- Wander St.Kilda. When I first moved to Melbourne I was told to stay away from St.Kilda as they had to sweep the beach for needles every morning. Now I’m not sure if this is true, but St.Kilda is a gorgeous stretch of beach, with fun shops and restaurants around. Not to mention Luna park.
- Eat at Max Brenner. I’m a self confessed choc-holic. I LOVE chocolate. I eat something chocolaty every day, because how could I not? Max Brenner is a dream. A restaurant dedicated to chocolate. Check out that sundae!
- Visit Hosier Lane. I already wrote an entire post dedicated to The lane of graffiti. Check it out here!
- Wander around Queen Victoria Market. This is a huge market filled with everything you could ever need. You can grab all your souvenirs here. I had a delicious smoothie, and still have a leather bag I got here!
- Take the City Circle Tram. This is a free hop on/hop off tram that looks beautifully old school. It makes stops at all the tourist attractions in the city, and is a great way to get between the places you need to go.
- Hang out in Federation Square. Right beside Flinder’s Street Station, there are lots of activities to do in the square, with a gorgeous view of the river on one side, and the city on the other.
- Being right beside Federation Square, every tourist has to take a photo of Flinder’s Station! That is one of the first things I did in Melbourne. It is such a beautiful sight to behold.
- Cafe hop. Known for the coffee, Melbourne has a very large cafe scene. It is worth spending a day, or two, cafe hopping to try out all the different flat whites!
- Take a ghost tour. There are several different companies offering ghost tours, and the one I went on was amazing! We walked around for a few hours, learning of ghost sightings and stories of the ghosts around the city. It was certainly spooky!
- Have a drink at one of the roof top bars. Having a drink with gorgeous night time city views can’t be beat!
These are just a few things that I did in the city. There is SO much more to do.
Also, going on a tour of The Great Ocean Road, while technically not in the city, is stunning and a definite must do!
Have you ever been to Melbourne? If so, what is your favourite thing to do?