How to clear your mind
This past week has been quite stressful for me. So much has been going on, and none of it good.
It’s one of those weeks that I’m ready to crumple it up and throw it in the trash.
I’ve been trying my hardest to not allow my panic and anxiety to overcome me. I must admit that I had a small panic attack yesterday after receiving some bad news, and since then I keep feeling my heart fluttering and my mind unable to focus on anything but the bad news.
There is nothing I can do right now to change what’s happened so naturally you would think I’d be like “okay well let’s move on with our day” but no. That has yet to happen.
I plan to spend the rest of the week trying my hardest to not allow myself to dwell on the things that are not able to be changed immediately, and instead attempt to focus on turning this week around.
To help clear my mind I have put together a list for myself (and anyone reading) of what I plan to do to help clear my mind
- Get outside as much as possible. Yes the weather is now quite chilly and the rain is (finally) coming in. But really if anything this is the best time to get myself outside. The air is so crisp and fresh and cool, every breath I feel like I’m inhaling an igloo. Going on long walks with this air refreshes my head and helps me to smile over the leaves crunching and how good it feels to just breathe. (But I really do miss chipmunks, random fact. I have not seen one since moving to BC)
- While on said walk find the beauty (or ugliness if that’s what you’re into) of your surroundings and take photos. I love going through my camera when I’m overcome with panic and clearing my mind by looking at the beautiful photos I’ve managed to take. Editing said photos are also a really good way to clear your mind, because it is focussing so much on something else. Something you have created.
- When inside drink copious amounts of tea. I pretty much do this anyways. I’ve always drunk lots of tea, but since getting a tea pot my tea intake has doubled. Tea calms me down so much I find. My favourite is green or ginger mint with a touch of honey. Anytime I have a hot cup of tea in my hand I find my mind is focused on the pleasure that brings, so my mind is much clearer.
- Listen to some music. Calming or whatever you’re into. Music helps transport us to another place. The amount of people who have told me that they could not live without music. They are so right.
- Lose yourself in a good book. I have always loved reading and can spend all day reading before I notice just how many hours have passed. Reading is the perfect way to clear your mind and get into somebody else’s.
And so these are my tricks to hopefully turn my week around.