As I write this, I have a cold. I could go on and on about how this is the worst cold ever and how miserable I am, but let’s be real. Every time I’m sick I feel that this is the worst one, when in reality this is definitely NOT the worst cold I have ever had.
I am tired, and missed doing a post on Monday because I was too sick over the weekend to concentrate on writing anything cohesive. This was my first time missing one of my regular scheduled posting days, but I felt that forcing myself to produce content while feeling so unwell was probably not the best idea. So I just didn’t.
I thought while feeling sick and since we are now full swing into cold season I would share some ways on how to survive your cold this season.
- Drink all the tea. Drinking liquids can be hard when sick. I usually drink at least ten bottles of water a day, but I’ve been struggling to even drink two while being sick. Tea has a ton of benefits and flavors, and the warmth will feel great on your throat.
- Add in lemon and honey. Something about the combination of lemon and honey heal everything it seems. I always add honey to my tea because it soothes the throat, but the benefits of lemon can’t be beat.
- Relax. This is a hard one. I know all too well how it is to only have 3 sick days a year. You feel guilty for calling in sick to work, or not doing the usual workout or whatever. But listen to your body. Relax. That’s how you will get better.
- Sleep. And lots of it. I took two naps the other day, and still felt exhausted. Sometimes you need to allow yourself lots of sleep, so your body and mind can heal.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C protects against your immune system having deficiencies. It may not be a cure, but it definitely helps.
- Watching lots of movies. I am currently watching the live action version of The Grinch. Just saying, it helps. I don’t have to force my mind to concentrate on anything and can just let my mind and body relax.
- Stay warm. I prefer being cold over being hot, always. Being too hot makes me miserable. But, I am currently trying to sweat out the cold by being wrapped up in pants, drinking hot tea, wearing slippers and boiling in a robe. It works!
- Wash your hands. You don’t want to spread your germs to anyone else, and by keeping clean you are less likely to hold onto those germs for longer than necessary.
- Take a hot shower. This combines both of the previous two tips. When I’m sick standing in the shower is the last thing I want to do. But it feels better than sitting in your sweaty bath. You get clean, and have heat on your body. It helps. I just forced myself to take a long hot shower and even though I didn’t want to, I feel better.
- Gargle salt water. It’s gross, but it helps relieve sore throats.
Here’s hoping these tips made sense, as I am currently quite sick writing this! But one thing that always makes me feel better is blogging with some background noise (The Grinch). I had planned to add some nice photos with this post, but honestly, I’m sick and don’t have much energy to set up and take photos right now.
And now, I will go back to allowing my body to rest. 🙂
Stay healthy this cold and flu season guys!
Do you get the flu shot?
Have you gotten sick yet this year?