Last updated September 20th, 2021
I am a huge fan of cooking up some new recipes. I love experimenting in the kitchen and discovering what I can create next. Baking? Not so much. I enjoy baking well enough, but I hate the clean up afterwards, having to measure everything out perfectly, having to stick a toothpick in a few times to make sure it’s done. Thankfully my mother emailed me her banana bread recipe a few years ago so there is no need for me to worry about baking something new. I know this recipe, it’s been tested, it’s DELICIOUS. As far as I’m concerned, it is the best homemade banana bread you will ever eat.
I often make this for weekend breakfasts, or even just for a quick snack. TIP. With peanut butter, it is even better than you could imagine. My favorite way to eat it is with peanut butter and honey drizzled on it. So decadent!
I’ve been becoming a bit more bold when it comes to baking recently, and have been experimenting a bit. I’ve updated the original recipe just a touch, by adding in vanilla and brown sugar. I’ll add those to the original recipe down below by adding a * beside those ingredients, so that way you can choose if you want to make the original homemade banana bread recipe, or my updated version.
Personally I think adding the vanilla and brown sugar makes the loaf a bit more moist, and more flavorful!
The Banana Bread Recipe!
The Best Homemade Banana Bread You Will Ever Eat
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup mashed banana (2-3 bananas)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp milk (I used soya, but any is fine)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening (Can use butter, margarine, lard)
- Optional nuts, chocolate chips, anything you want to mix in!
- *1/4 cup brown sugar. Add half the brown sugar into the mixture with the regular sugar, and use the other half to sprinkle on top of the loaf!
- *1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl combine sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1 cup flour and salt.
- Add mashed bananas, shortening, and milk.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed until blended, then on high for 2 min. I just mixed with a spatula really hard and fast until smooth.
- Add eggs and remaining flour, beat till blended.
- If you are adding chocolate chips or nuts, add now.
- Pour batter into greased 8x4x2 loaf pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top of batter.
- Bake at 350 F oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan, cool thoroughly on rack.
Also, your house will smell amazing! I love walking through the door after baking this delicious homemade banana bread. It smells so warm and comforting!
As far as I’m concerned, this is the best homemade banana bread you will ever eat! I feel no need to find another banana bread recipe, because this is the only one I want to eat.
Do you have a go to baked goods recipe?
What’s your favorite thing to bake?
What is your go to weekend breakfast?