Favourite movies growing up
I have always been a huge movie buff. Growing up, and still, watching a movie was one of my favourite things to do. I had a huge movie collection filled with Disney movies (I wish I had that still) and so much more.
Now I don’t even know half of the movies that Scott and I own because there are so many, and where we have them is too high for me to reach most of them – I’m too short to see them.
I doubt I’ll ever get through all of the movies we now own, but lately I have been feeling nostalgic and have been wanting to re-watch some of my old faves.
Here were some of my faves!
- Pretty much any Mary-Kate and Ashley film. Passport to Paris, Double double toil and trouble, Our lips are sealed is what inspired me to move to Australia, Getting there, Holiday in the sun, Winning London, just to name a few. I grew up re-watching their movies over and over again. I still to this day regret donating them all when I moved to Australia. They were the best!
- The Notebook. This one is an obvious one for most girls my age I believe. We get to see Ryan Gosling as a scrawny, yet adorable boy, then as a muscled up, sexy man. Too good. And so romantic. So many girls I know hold their men up to what Noah was like in the Notebook. Aka perfection.
- Mean girls. Another obvious choice. All I wanted after seeing this movie was to have a clique as tight as the Plastics…but you know, not as evil as Regina George. Coming from a small town though, we were pretty much all friends, so no need for cliques.
- Where the Red Fern grows. This is a movie to break your heart. I first watched it after my childhood dog died. WORST.IDEA.EVER….but it stuck with me and was a movie I continued to watch over and over.
- 13 Going on 30. This was on TV the other night…I watched it, and still felt like the child who first watched this movie. It is such a good, happy go lucky; bring it back kind of movie. Even though the movie was saying not to grow up too fast, as a child who grew up very fast, I wanted to be just like Jenna in her gorgeous penthouse apartment, with an amazing, successful job. It is such a fun movie!
- Rock-A-Doodle. This was a fave from when I was a kid, and I mostly loved all of the songs in it.
- Troll in Central park. Also a fave from when I was a kid. I still have a stuffed troll that I named Stanley after the troll from the movie. I will never throw that troll away.
- The Page master. I loved how it went from live action to cartoon, and incorporated all of these famous stories that I had heard about for as long as I could remember. This was just such a magical movie.
- Any Disney movie. No explanation needed. Am I right? But my favourite was by far The Fox and The Hound, and it still is. It breaks my heart every time Todd gets dropped off in the woods. I cry every time.
- Titanic. I fell madly in love with Titanic, and I remember getting grounded from watching this movie because I watched it all the time and would sob uncontrollably, and not focus on homework. So yeah, they took it away from me.
- My Girl. So heartbreaking, but such a beautiful story of childhood friendship, loss, and growing up. I watch this movie any time I can.
There are SO many other favourite movies I had as a child. I was the typical ‘become madly obsessed with a movie for a month, watch nonstop, then choose a new one’ like any normal child.
Now I want to re-watch all of these movies.
What were your favourite movies?