Never did I ever plan to write much about my day job, which is being a nanny. However, every time I check out which posts of mine get the most love, it is these two. Pros of being a nanny and Cons of being a nanny. I wrote both of those posts for fun, not expecting them to drive so much traffic.
So I figured – if people keep going back to those posts so often they must be interested in either children, working with children, or what to do with children.
As a nanny it is SO important to have plenty of fun things to do with the kiddos. I’m lucky that in my current jobs I’m close with all the children and we always have a great time together, so we’re never bored.
Fun Things To Do With Kids
- Baking. Kids love to help out. Baking is fun for them because they are baking their own food, they get to use their hands, stirring and cracking eggs is so much fun for them, and they get to eat what they create afterwards!
- Puzzles. Lots and lots of puzzles. No matter the age puzzles are fun for kids. They are using their brains, and it is so fun to piece together the different puzzle pieces.
- Dress up. Get out all of the play clothes and try them all out! Create different characters to play with each outfit and make it a game.
- Go to the library. Children naturally love books. They love the different stories and seeing different facial expressions on characters faces. Most libraries have a children’s section with little toys. The library I go to most often has a huge space for kids to play, loads of books, puzzles, coloring books, lots of small tables and chairs that’s easy for the kids to sit on, puppets, felt boards with felt pieces to stick on the boards. And baby story time, arts and crafts for the older kids. There is always something fun to do.
- Go out walking. A walk is not boring. Each season there are new things to search for. In summer we search for different insects. Come autumn we jump on crunchy leaves and look for acorns. In winter we watch the geese and search for squirrels in the trees. During spring we look for the blooming flowers.
- Go to the park. Enough said, really. Most kids love to be on the swing, and those who don’t love the slide. There is something for every child at the park.
- If you live in a city there is most likely an aquarium, science center or museum nearby. Check them out! Kids love to learn. Everything is a new experience for them and it is so fun to see.
- Go to the beach if it’s summer time.
- Find out what interests the children have. There is most likely a fun class you can both attend to get out of the house.
There are so many fun things to do with kids. Like I said before, everything is a new experience for them. Seeing the world through a child’s eyes is incredible. What we think is a mundane chore is fun and something new for children. Get outside, explore, run around, discover something new. You will never be bored.
What are your favorite things to do with the kids in your life?