Full disclosure here; I am not Australian. I’m a Canadian girl who spent part of 2014 living in Melbourne and falling madly in love with Australia.
I knew when I decided to move abroad that Australia was the only serious choice that I could make. I looked at other countries but none of them could compare with Australia. There’s truly nowhere else like Australia and I am so grateful that my Canadian visa gave me the opportunity for a working visa in the country.
I may not actually be Australian, but I quickly fell into life in Australia and embraced the culture and all of it’s quirks wholeheartedly, and honestly, to this day I still think of Australia as my second home. I think I always will.
So here is my list of “You know you’re Australian when”…
- You never say “Australia” it’s “Straya”.
- Some people may say “Strayla”. This is wrong, but it’s okay.
- A thong is not underwear, they’re worn on your feet.
- What’s McDonald’s? It’s called Macca’s.
- You are always told the wildlife will kill you. So you feel so proud to tell your crazy snake or spider stories. And guess what? YOU HAVEN’T DIED!
- You get mad when people confuse Aussie’s and Kiwi’s.
- You feel proud when actors are from Australia. When they become an embarrassment, suddenly they are downgraded to a kiwi.
- When you hear “Aussie Aussie Aussie” you naturally stop what you’re doing to shout “OI OI OI!”.
- Beetroot goes on everything. No questions asked.
- No shows online are available in your region.
- You are proud of the killer wildlife.
- Saying “Excuse me” makes you an asshole, but “Scuse me” is totally acceptable.
- It’s not unusual to end up with second degree burns from your steering wheel come summer time.
- All abbreviated words end in O.
- The best straw you own is a Tim Tam.
- You know that the train timetable is actually a work of fiction.
- You know that the flies are worse than sharks.
- Kangaroos aren’t cute, they’re a driving hazard.
- You pity the Kiwi’s, because they will never be as great as the Australians.
- If you say “Bloody” in front of something, you really mean it.
- Goon is a way of life.
- Hearing “She’ll be alright” will always comfort you.
- Fried egg in a burger is the norm. Also, add some pineapple!
- You get confused when there is no free BBQ pit at parks or beaches.
- “The Bush” is a perfectly acceptable explanation of where you’re going.
I miss Australia every day and cannot wait to go back one day, because you know I will!
What are some points that I missed?