I just completed my first ever long form census. If that doesn’t make you feel like an adult I’m not sure what will. I remember being a kid and watching my mother fill out a census and being so excited to do it when I grew up.
Then they got rid of the long form census…Good-bye nerd dreams.
So when I got home and found the census form in the mail I was overly excited.
Yay for filling out a survey (I legit love surveys).
The census didn’t take nearly as long as I thought it would. I just filled it out online and it was over before I knew it! Not at all what I was expecting.
Anyways, all this census making me feel like an adult talk had me thinking about other things that make you feel like an adult.
You know, those things that you never thought you would like, or things that only “old” people do. Now I’m one of those “old” people. So sad. Teenage Brooklyn clearly didn’t realize that 24 is still relatively young.
Here are some things that make you feel like an adult!
- Doing washing as you cook. Gone are the days of leaving everything until a few days later. Now I get stressed out if I don’t wash up as I clean, because if I can multitask and save time for myself later, why wouldn’t I?
- Buying candles & house plants. Yeah, I NEVER thought this would be me, ever. I used to think of candles as only for power outages and plants for no one. Ew, house plants. Now I can admit that I spend too much money buying candles. It’s just that I HAVE to have one burning every night, or else am I even relaxing? No. And as you can read about in this post here I am clearly a very proud owner of houseplants. I even worry about them – woah.
- Sticking to your list at the grocery store. Growing up every time I would go get groceries I always added things whilst there. I still do, but there are many more shopping trips where I actually stick to my list now, and don’t buy anything I feel like. Go me!
- To go with the above point, eating healthy. I remember growing up being able to eat like, 5 s’mores. Well let me tell you, gone are those days! I now need to eat a plethora of vegetables everyday or I feel like crap. It has nothing to do with wanting ‘a summer bod’ anymore, if I don’t eat healthy I feel awful.
- Preferring to stay in than go out. I used to love spending all of my time with friends, or out at bars. Now I much prefer to stay in with a book, home cooked meal, and a good movie. I still do enjoy going out, but not as much as I love wearing comfy clothes at home.
- Book appointments for yourself. I blimey hate booking myself appointments. I finally have a dentist appointment in a few days after needing to make an appointment for too long. Also, my hair is so long and gross at the ends. Today, after planning a hair cut SINCE DECEMBER, I finally made an appointment. I used to be able to get my mother to make all of my appointments, so you know, I would go. Now that I’m doing it for myself, I guess I’m really an adult.
- Matching underwear. How many kids/teens/young adults wear matching underwear? I actually don’t know, but growing up I sure didn’t. Now, wearing matching underwear makes me feel like a legit woman, just like the ads tell me 😉
- Having Savings. I always had savings, but then I moved to Australia and traveled to New Zealand and good-bye meager savings. Now I look forward to having a savings account and putting money in it!
- Having a full medicine cabinet. I’m always sick. I think it’s getting a bit better, but I was always having to run to pharmacy’s to buy Buckley’s or Tylenol, so now I have a beautifully stocked medicine cabinet 🙂 Although I need to stock up on a few things.
- DIY- Actually doing it. I’m shit at following along to any DIY project. Always have been. But the older I get, the more I want my projects to look like the pictures, so to do that, I kind of have to follow along.
- Speaking of following along, actually following a recipe from a cook book. I love me a good old recipe from a cook book, and I must say, I rock at following along! Instead of making up my own on the way, I follow along and get it right the first time!
Wow, I didn’t realize I had so much to say on the topic of things that make you feel like an adult, but hey, if it’s true it’s true, right?
All of these points that I made successfully make me feel like an adult, and I’m sure the older I get, the more things I will add to this list. I think this is good for now though, I’m still only 24!
Do you have any other tips I should know of?